At EK Eyewear, your eye health and clear vision are our top priorities. We are dedicated to providing you with the most comprehensive eyecare available.
We do this by using cutting-edge technology like our OCT and Optomap scanners, operated by our team of highly experienced optometrists. When you choose us, you can trust that your eyes are in good hands.
Advanced Technology for Clearer Vision
To give you an unrivalled eye care experience, we have invested in the latest technology. Our state-of-the-art machines run tests that are not only fast but also painless and comfortable for you. Let’s take a closer look at three of our remarkable machines.
1. Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) Scanner: Seeing Beyond the Surface
Our OCT scanner is a technological marvel that peers deep into the structures of your eyes, revealing details that are invisible to the naked eye. In fact, the level of detail it provides surpasses even that of an MRI scanner. This advanced tool allows us to detect and monitor various eye conditions with unparalleled precision.
OCT (Optical Coherence Tomography) is a hospital-grade eye scan that helps to view the structures of your eye in greater detail, helping spot signs of eye conditions, sometimes much earlier than traditional methods, like:
- Glaucoma: The OCT scanner can measure the thickness of the nerve fibre layer in the retina, aiding in the early detection of glaucoma, a condition that can lead to vision loss if left untreated.
- Macular Degeneration: It helps to assess the health of the macula, which is crucial for central vision. Early detection of macular degeneration can be vital in preserving your sight.
- Diabetes: The OCT scanner can detect and monitor changes in the retina caused by diabetes, allowing for timely intervention to prevent vision loss.
- Retina Detachment: By providing detailed images of the retina’s layers, the OCT scanner assists in diagnosing retinal detachment, a serious condition that requires immediate attention.
- Vitreous Conditions: the scanner is valuable in evaluating the vitreous, the gel-like substance in the eye, helping us detect conditions like vitreous floaters and detachments.
We recommend OCT scans for those aged 25 or over, who want to know more about their eye health, or for people who have a family history of eye disease. Even if your vision and eye health are perfectly fine, we still recommend an OCT scan so our opticians have a baseline image on file, so they can monitor any changes over time.
Getting an OCT scan is a straightforward and painless process, which only takes a few seconds to complete. You’ll be seated comfortably, and a special camera will scan your eye. You may be asked to focus on a target or keep your eyes still for a few moments. The scan is quick, and you won’t experience any discomfort or side effects.
It’s a non-invasive (doesn’t touch your eye) imaging technique that uses light waves to capture high-resolution cross-sectional images of the eye’s structures. The OCT scan is safe and highly accurate and doesn’t involve any radiation or invasive procedures.
Opting for an OCT scan as part of your eye test offers numerous benefits:
- Early Detection: OCT allows us to identify eye conditions in their earliest stages, often before symptoms are noticeable. Early detection can lead to more effective treatment and better outcomes.
- Precision: The high-resolution images provided by OCT enable us to monitor the progression of eye conditions with precision, allowing for targeted and timely interventions.
- Peace of Mind: Knowing that your eye health is thoroughly assessed and monitored provides peace of mind, helping you take proactive steps to preserve your vision.
2. Optomap Scanner: A Wider Perspective on Eye Health
Our commitment to looking after your eyes for life, extends to our Optomap scanner. It is a state-of-the-art imaging device designed to capture an exceptionally wide-angle view of your retina, which is the light-sensitive tissue at the back of your eye.
Unlike traditional methods that may require dilating your pupils and limited views, the Optomap scanner offers an incredible 82% view of your retina in a single, painless scan. This wide-angle perspective is a game-changer in eye care for several reasons:
- Comprehensive Assessment: The broad view provided by the Optomap scanner allows us to examine almost the entire retina at once. This means we can spot subtle irregularities, even in the far periphery of the retina, which might otherwise go unnoticed with conventional methods.
- Speed and Comfort: Optomap scans are quick and comfortable, eliminating the need for time-consuming pupil dilation. You won’t experience any discomfort or sensitivity to light after the scan.
- Patient-Friendly: The Optomap scan is an excellent choice for patients of all ages, including children, who may find conventional eye tests challenging due to the need for dilation drops and bright lights.
The Optomap scanner and OCT scanner are complementary technologies that work together to provide a comprehensive evaluation of your eye health. While the Optomap scanner excels at capturing a broad view of the retina’s surface, the OCT scanner penetrates deeper to examine the internal structures of the eye. Together, these tools enable us to offer you a complete and detailed assessment, ensuring that we can detect and address any eye issues with precision and care.
EK Eyewear is proud to be one of the few practices in Northern Ireland equipped with both OCT and Optomap scanners. This investment gives us the best view of your eyes, giving you peace of mind.
3. Caring for Young Eyes: MYHA Assessment
In today’s digital age, the prevalence of myopia or short-sightedness in children is on the rise. Myopia can make distant objects appear blurred while close objects remain clear, impacting a child’s daily activities and overall quality of life.
The good news is that the progression of myopia in children can be significantly reduced when detected and managed early. This is where our MYHA Assessment comes in, using the machine pictured below.
Our MYHA Myopia Assessment utilizes the latest scientific breakthroughs to precisely measure the shape and length of your child’s eyes. This advanced technology allows us to analyse the data and recommend appropriate action, normally managing myopia with glasses or contact lenses.
The MYHA procedure is quick, easy, and entirely comfortable, with no direct contact with the eye. Your child will not experience any discomfort or need to worry about eye drops or invasive tests. This assessment is repeated at subsequent appointments to monitor progress and address any concerns in the early stages of myopia.
Our MYHA Myopia Assessment is designed to provide parents with valuable insights into their child’s vision, allowing us to work together to ensure your child enjoys a lifetime of clear and healthy sight.
Expert Optometrists: Your Partners in Eye Health
At EK Eyewear, we blend the power of technology with the expertise of our optometrists to give you healthy eyes for life. Your vision is precious, and our commitment to your eye health means harnessing the best technology available.
When you choose us, you’re choosing the latest in technology and expertise, all aimed at safeguarding your precious gift of sight. Book an eye test with us today and experience the future of eye care.