As we all start to jet off on our summer holidays, it’s essential to protect your eyes from harmful UV rays while staying fashionable. At EK Eyewear on Belfast’s Lisburn Road, we understand the importance of finding sunglasses that not only suit your personal style, but also look after your vision.
Sunglasses aren’t just for the summer. Pop them on any time your eyes are exposed to UV light. It doesn’t matter what age you are, as sunlight encourages premature aging of the eyes and increases your chances of developing eye problems. Sunglasses will also help protect the skin around your eyes, as well as the eye itself.
Read on for valuable tips to help you choose sunglasses that offer both style and UV protection.
1. The Importance of UV Protection
Follow these precautions to protect your eyes from harmful UV rays:
- Wear sunglasses which carry the CE or British Standard quality marks. This indicates that they give you full (100%) UVA and UVB protection. Look for labels or stickers indicating that the sunglasses block both UVA and UVB rays.
- If you wear glasses or contact lenses, check that the lenses include a UV filter, for everyday protection.
- It is especially important for children to wear sunglasses because their pupils are bigger than adults’, making the risk of sun damage much higher. Goggle style sunglasses may be the most practical for children, to keep them on.
- Choose sunglasses that sit closer to the eye and wrap around the sides of your face, blocking out more light.
- Check the filter category number on your sunglasses, which should be displayed as a legal requirement. Outlets will clearly display the category of tint as well as other information such as the material they are made from and what they’ve been designed for. We will always advise you on this.
- Wear a wide-brimmed sun hat to reduce light coming over the top of your sunglasses.
- Try to avoid prolonged outdoor activities between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. when the sun’s rays are strongest.
- Never look at the sun directly – even if it’s just for a few seconds.
2. Find a Style That Suits Your Face Shape
Different face shapes complement various sunglass styles. Consider the following general guidelines:
- Oval face shape: Most styles of sunglasses suit oval faces, so feel free to experiment with different designs.
- Round face shape: Angular frames, such as rectangular or square shapes, can help add definition to round faces.
- Square face shape: Rounded or oval frames can soften strong jawlines and balance square faces.
- Heart face shape: Cat-eye or round frames can complement heart-shaped faces by emphasizing the upper part of the face.
- Diamond face shape: Look for sunglasses with gentle curves to highlight your cheekbones and soften the overall look.
3. Book A Sunglasses Styling Consultation
EK Eyewear offers personalised sunglasses styling consultations. Our experienced eyewear specialists will guide you in selecting sunglasses that enhance your features, match your style, and provide optimal UV protection.
Our unique collection of frames is always being updated to keep you on trend. Buy your new glasses with us and you are guaranteed to stand out from the crowd. You’ll get lots of advice and time to make sure your new sunglasses suit your face, personality and lifestyle.
During your consultation, we’ll consider your face shape, skin tone, lifestyle, and personal preferences to find the perfect pair of sunglasses tailored to you. We’ll help you find your perfect frames from our unique collection of brands to keep you on trend.
All our sunglasses have the “CE” Mark or British Standard, which ensures they offer a safe level of UV protection.
4. Explore Our Selection Of Top Sunglasses Brands
Through the years we have nurtured relationships with premium sunglasses brands to give you access to the latest styles and highest quality sunglasses. Choose from our range of ready-to-wear and prescription sunglasses such as:
- Tom Ford: Widely recognised as one of the most luxurious and glamorous eyewear brand collections around. Our collection provides the perfect balance between rimmed, boxy frames and boundary pushing large frames, with unique lens shapes.
- Victoria Beckham: The must have sunglasses for any female fashionista! Opt for vintage-inspired oversized sunglasses, classic aviators, modern rimless styles or iconic cat eye and rounded frames – the choice is yours.
- Ray-Ban: Whether you’re hitting the beach, mountains, golf course or driving, protect your eyes with iconic style from Ray-Ban. They’ve been the leader in sunglasses for generations providing high quality frames, polarised lenses and UV protection for your eyes.
- Maui Jim: The word we hear most when someone tries on a pair is WOW! 99.9% of glare is gone, 100% harmful UV light that can damage eyes is gone. Their wide range of styles, from sport performance frames to fashion-forward eyewear, are loaded with the most technologically advanced eye protection.
These brands represent just a fraction of the diverse selection available at EK Eyewear. Pop into our practice on the Lisburn Road in Belfast and our knowledgeable team will guide you through our range of sunglasses.
They’ll help you find the perfect pair of sunglasses that suit your style, UV protection needs and budget.
5. Additional Tips For Sunglasses Shopping
Consider polarized lenses, when buying a new pair of sunglasses. These lenses reduce glare and enhance visual clarity, especially when taking part in outdoor activities or driving. Polarised lenses reduce reflected light from surfaces such as oncoming windscreens, playing fields and water.
Don’t forget to think about your lifestyle and activities you’ll be doing when wearing your sunglasses. Certain sports or hobbies may require specialized sunglasses with additional features like impact resistance or wraparound designs.
When buying sunglasses for driving, avoid filter category 4. Category 2 lenses are best for daytime driving. Variable tint lenses may be unsuitable as they don’t darken as well behind a windscreen as they do when out of the car. Lenses with light transmission of less than 75% and yellow tinted lenses are not suitable for driving at night.
If you are not sure what kind of sunglasses to buy, talk to us and we’ll advise you on the best eyewear for your needs and lifestyle.
When it comes to choosing sunglasses that offer both style and UV protection, we are here to help. By understanding the importance of UV protection, considering your face shape and booking a sunglasses styling consultation with us, you can find the perfect pair of sunglasses to keep your eyes safe and stylish.
Explore our wide selection of top sunglasses brands and enjoy the sunny days ahead with confidence and comfort.